Independent (Webster’s) “(1) not subject to control by others (2) self-governing, (3) not affiliated with a larger controlling unit, (4) not looking to others for one’s opinions or guidance in conduct, (5) showing a desire for freedom.
Who in the oligarchy jeopardizes the independence of the people of the United States? Which small group or groups are exercising too much control, governance or guidance over our independence? Which of these groups is selfish or corrupt?
- Corporations: oil & gas, banking, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, news media
- Special interests: neocons, right-wing evangelicals, political parties
- Lobbyists: ex-governmental officials, corporate representatives, 527’s
- Think tanks: right-wing intellectuals, ex-governmental officials
- Legislative leaders: U.S. House and Senate Republican leadership
- Wealthy individuals: 16% of the aggregate income in the U.S. went to the top one percent of the people
Today is Independence Day. On this day – 230 years ago in 1776 – colonists declared their independence from England. Which group or groups today appear to be selfish or corrupt? From whom will you declare independence? Can you be more self-governing? From whence can you get independent opinion and guidance? Think about it and decide.